Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Thing 2

I chose to write about Patrick's Update http://itc.blogs.com/patrick/2005/02/5th_grade.html This was a pretty awesome site for me as a 4th grade teacher. Working with a classroom of mostly EIP and Special Education students, I love to put technology in their hands and see what they can do. With that said, I also know that their have to be guidelines. One of the biggest concerns I have seen this year is the lack of knowledge my students have about technology or the lack of skills such as typing or even how to operate a computer. My students are interacting with technology everyday. I am sad that I haven't started using blogging sooner. Especially with the group that I have this year that crave that feedback and interaction with each other and the way they excell from the positive comments. I really think we will begin blogging as a class just to increase their typing skills as well as their ability to write, communicate, and as a way to edit work. I gained a deeper understanding myself of what blogging can do for me and my students.

2 comments:

  1. I think you're right. I strongly believe that students need to interact with each other in order to learn. Who says that it always has to be verbal? Blogging is a great way to involve all students. I think, if implemented correctly, blogging is a powerful tool for students and teachers to communicate and learn from each other. In regards to students' typing skills, I think we need to start teaching students how to type in first or second grade. I learned in high school and it was one of the most valuable classes I have ever taken!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rob,
    I loved the post that you shared. One of my favorite things to do is to read blogs of students, particularly elementary students. I'd like to encourage you to blog with your students. Get them started making some simple posts now and then after CRCT, they can really dig their digits into the keyboards. It takes a commitment on your part to ensure that they receive comments, not only from you but that they comment on each other. That kind of feedback encourages them to continue writing and builds conversations. As Courtney said, it IS a great way to involve all students - all being the key word there. No one can hide and not be called on if they're all blogging.

    I'd like to share my blog post summary that I wrote not too long ago after another teacher asked me about blogging with her students. I turned to other teachers who are already blogging with kids for advice and my post was a summary of what they offered. http://edtechtrek.blogspot.com/2009/02/blogging-with-students-summary-of.html

    ReplyDelete